ALSTOM Power, Distribution Services

Move your pointing device over the image to zoom to detail. If using a mouse click on the image to toggle zoom.
When in zoom mode use + or - keys to adjust level of image zoom.

Date:2001

Description:In the spring of 2001 ALSTOM Power Distribution Services had recently taken delivery of this new girder frame trailer, known as A500. The photograph shows the trailer, nearly 100 metres long, being moved by two large tractors (front and rear of the trailer) against the traffic flow on Queensway in Stafford. It is on its way to Ellesmere Port with the first of two 721 MVA generator transformers, weighing 310 tonnes, for the Hoping Power Plant in Taiwan. Later the trailer would be used to transport a similar transformer to Ellesmere Port for Manjung in Malaysia, which would weigh in excess of 350 tonnes. At the time this was the largest and heaviest load ever manufactured at the Lichfield Road site in Stafford. The trailer is designed to carry a gas turbine at 370 tonnes using 30 axles with 240 wheels. This first movement of A500 was witnessed by customers and senior representatives from Staffordshire Police and the Department of the Environment Transport.

This photograph was taken by Stafford Photographer Tony Boydon. The above information is an extract from an article in the spring edition 2001 of Alstom Power’s ‘The Newsletter’. On the left of the picture is the former Riverside Recreation Centre and centre right are several houses on South Walls. These buildings were later demolished to make way for the new Riverside retail site. In the foreground is the ASDA supermarket car park.

Additional information on the Lichfield Road site: The Stafford Works was renowned for its electrical equipment products including generators, transformers and switchgear. Siemens Brothers purchased land by the Lichfield Road in 1901 and built a factory and offices which were ready to start production in 1903. In 1918 Siemens merged with several companies, including Dick, Kerr and Co., to become The English Electric Co. Two years later in 1920, The English Electric Co bought the Stafford Works. The English Electric Co. merged with GEC (The General Electric Company) during 1968 and the Lichfield Road Site became part of GEC Power Engineering Ltd. On 22 March 1989 became part of GEC ALSTHOM, an Anglo French Joint Venture. On 22 June 1998 this in turn became part of ALSTOM with global HQ in Paris and on 2 November 2015 the Stafford Grid and Power Businesses became part of GE (General Electric, an American Company).

View Location

Share:

Link to this resource

Creators: Miss Susan Large - Contributor ,  Tony Boydon - Creator

Donor ref:BM-SL-TG-001a (192/41148)

Source: Mr Bob Metcalfe

Copyright information: Copyrights to all resources are retained by the individual rights holders. They have kindly made their collections available for non-commercial private study & educational use. Re-distribution of resources in any form is only permitted subject to strict adherence to the usage guidelines.