Hauling timber, Cannock area

Move your pointing device over the image to zoom to detail. If using a mouse click on the image to toggle zoom.
When in zoom mode use + or - keys to adjust level of image zoom.

Date:1910 - 1930 (c.)

Description:This huge tree trunk is possibly en-route to Wootton's sawmill and timber yard at Churchbridge, Cannock.

Born in Bloxwich in 1853, by the 1870s Abraham Wootton, junior had premises on the corner of North Street and Walsall Road, Cannock. His father, Abraham senior, had run a timber business from the Red, White and Blue public house in Featherstone but was declared bankrupt in 1860. In the mid-20th century the business was run by Charles Wootton at Hollies Avenue, Cannock, and was considered one of the largest and most modern timber businesses in the Midlands. The premises were taken over by Rudders and Payne's by the early 1960s. It is probable that the dray in this photograph was pulled by a steam lorry as they were known to have a large Sentinel wagon.

View Location

Share:

Link to this resource

Image courtesy of: Mr David Battersby

Donor ref:Cannock Library076 (52/40635)

Copyright information: Copyrights to all resources are retained by the individual rights holders. They have kindly made their collections available for non-commercial private study & educational use. Re-distribution of resources in any form is only permitted subject to strict adherence to the usage guidelines.