Biddle's Stores, Brook Square, Rugeley

Move your pointing device over the image to zoom to detail. If using a mouse click on the image to toggle zoom.
When in zoom mode use + or - keys to adjust level of image zoom.

Date:1902

Description:A view taken in Brook Square looking towards Lower Brook Street in Rugeley.

On the left is Biddle’s Stores which started business in 1850. The decorations by the upper floor windows suggest that at the time this photograph was taken the town was celebrating Edward’s VII’s coronation in 1902.

John Biddle's was a high-class Provisions, Grocer and Tallow Chandlers shop, also an agent for W & A Gilbey Limited, wine and spirit merchants, and for Salt and Co.’s Burton ales and Guinness’s stout and for the Norwich Union Fire and Life offices.

In later years the buildings on the left of the covered wagon were demolished and redeveloped and the area became pedestrianised. Most of the buildings in the centre and on the right remain (April 2019) and over the years there has been various retail enterprises on their ground floors.

View Location

Share:

Link to this resource

Creators: Miss Dorothy Roberts - Contributor

Donor ref:BM-DR-145 (192/39172)

Source: Mr Bob Metcalfe

Copyright information: Copyrights to all resources are retained by the individual rights holders. They have kindly made their collections available for non-commercial private study & educational use. Re-distribution of resources in any form is only permitted subject to strict adherence to the usage guidelines.