Abbot Beyne High School, Winshill, Burton-upon-Trent

Move your pointing device over the image to zoom to detail. If using a mouse click on the image to toggle zoom.
When in zoom mode use + or - keys to adjust level of image zoom.

Date:2000

Description:The Linell Building of Abbot Beyne High School on Osborne Street, Winshill which houses 15 to 18 year old pupils, 11 to 14 year olds are at the nearby Evershed Building.

William Beyne, Abbot of Burton Abbey, endowed a grammar school in the early 16th century, it was opened by 1531. The boys’ grammar school moved to Winshill in 1957. It was administered by the County Borough of Burton upon Trent, and known as The Grammar School with about 600 boys. The girls’ high school opened in 1928. In 1975 the grammar school was merged with the Burton on Trent Girls’ High School and Ada Chadwick Secondary Modern School to become Abbot Beyne mixed Comprehensive School on Mill Hill Lane.

This Image is from a collection of photographs of Burton upon Trent commissioned and assembled by Burton upon Trent Civic Society as a record of the town in the year 2000.

Text and photograph © Burton upon Trent Civic Society

View Location

Share:

Link to this resource

Creators: Ian Bennett and Ian Eccleshall of Messrs. Bennett, Lovatt & Associates (Photography) - Creator

Image courtesy of: Burton upon Trent Civic Society

Donor ref:BURTON_2000_088 (230/39024)

Source: Burton upon Trent Civic Society

Copyright information: Copyrights to all resources are retained by the individual rights holders. They have kindly made their collections available for non-commercial private study & educational use. Re-distribution of resources in any form is only permitted subject to strict adherence to the usage guidelines.