Aftermath of the pit explosion at West Cannock No. 5 Mine, Hednesford

Move your pointing device over the image to zoom to detail. If using a mouse click on the image to toggle zoom.
When in zoom mode use + or - keys to adjust level of image zoom.

Date:16th of May 1933

Description:Miner being comforted following a firedamp explosion in the pit on May 16 1933, which killed 6 men and 2 horses.

West Cannock Colliery Company had 5 sites:

No.1 plant (pit) was sunk in 1869 and closed in 1958 it had a downcast shaft and an upcast shaft.

No.2 plant was sunk in 1871, wound its first coal in 1876 and closed in 1887. it was located south of Stafford lane, below East Cannock.

No.3 plant (pit) was sunk 1871 and closed 1949 it was located on the north side of Belt Rd just off the bridge.

No.4 Plant (pit) was sunk 1869 and closed in 1928 it had 2 shafts although there are no pictures of the upcast headgear the 2nd shaft was located approx 70yd northeast of the downcast.

No.5 plant was sunk a) downcast 1914 b)upcast 1916 and the colliery closed in 1982.

The West Cannock No.1, No.2, No.3 & No.4 pits were all connected as stated underground. In the 1950s No.1 shaft at No.1 pit (aka) 1s was linked to Littleton Colliery who took the coal left there and the No.2(upcast shaft) at No.1 pit (aka) 2s was linked to West Cannock No.5 Colliery who took the coal left there. No.5 pit was also linked to the Valley colliery in 1962.

All the collieries employed several hundreds of men.

View Location

Share:

Link to this resource

Creators: Birmingham Gazette - Creator

Donor ref:91.0002.00001 (21/3854)

Source: Museum of Cannock Chase

Copyright information: Copyrights to all resources are retained by the individual rights holders. They have kindly made their collections available for non-commercial private study & educational use. Re-distribution of resources in any form is only permitted subject to strict adherence to the usage guidelines.