Market Street, Hednesford

Move your pointing device over the image to zoom to detail. If using a mouse click on the image to toggle zoom.
When in zoom mode use + or - keys to adjust level of image zoom.

Date:1910 - 1913 (c.)

Description:A busy scene on Market Street, Hednesford. The building with the diamond-shaped windows on the left hand edge is the Electric Palace. Built as a roller-skating rink in 1910, its maple wood floor was said to be the equal of any in the Midlands. By 1912 it was a cinema on five nights of the week and roller-skating rink for two. It was renamed the Tivoli in 1932 when electric sound was introduced. The Tivoli closed in 1963 and has since been demolished.

Hednesford had two cinemas: the other was the 'Empire' in Rugeley Road which was converted from public rooms to be a cinema and theatre in 1913 and closed in 1957. After a brief period of use as a spiritualist church the Empire building was demolished in 1963.

In the mid distance are the road bridges over the railway with the booking office on its summit to the right. This photograph was probably taken on a Saturday as the shop is open but the men are not at work. Note the steam-powered vehicle and the glazed verandah which spans the pavement.

View Location

Share:

Link to this resource

Donor ref:10_110r (219/36833)

Source: Mr Jake Whitehouse

Copyright information: Copyrights to all resources are retained by the individual rights holders. They have kindly made their collections available for non-commercial private study & educational use. Re-distribution of resources in any form is only permitted subject to strict adherence to the usage guidelines.