The 40 Club Dinner at The English Electric Co. Ltd., Stafford

Move your pointing device over the image to zoom to detail.

Date:1965

Description:Employees and guests are pictured at the Stafford Works 40 Club Annual Dinner in 1965. Left to right: Mr M B Schroeder, Deputy Publicity Manager, Mrs A B Reader, standing is Mr J R Sully, General Manager Stafford and Kidsgrove, Mrs Lilian Shardlow, Mr E B Banks, Joint Managing Director and Vice President of the 40 Club, Mr C H (Charlie) Shardlow, Senior Shop Steward and 40 Club Chairman, Mrs M B Schroeder and Mr A B Reader, Works Manager.

Around 168 employees attended the event which was held in the Works Canteen at Stychfields Hall in Stafford. The first 40 Club Annual Dinner was held in 1958. The Club’s purpose was to have somewhere to meet, to talk about old times and to help members in retirement.

The Stafford factory was renowned for its electrical products including generators, transformers and switchgear. Siemens Brothers purchased the land in 1901 and built the factory and offices which were ready to start production in 1903. In 1918 Siemens merged with several companies, including Dick, Kerr and Co., to become the English Electric Co. Two years later in 1920, The English Electric Co bought the Stafford Works. The English Electric Co merged with GEC (The General Electric Company) during 1968 and the Lichfield Road Site became part of GEC Power Engineering Ltd. On 22 March 1989 became part of GEC ALSTHOM, an Anglo French Joint Venture. On 22 June 1998 became part of ALSTOM with global HQ in Paris and on 2 November 2015 the Stafford Grid and Power Businesses became part of GE (General Electric, an American Company).


Timeline

The timeline shows resources around this location over a number of years.

1900s
Test House staff at Siemens Bros. factory, Stafford
Test House staff at Siemens Bros. factory, Stafford

Workers at the Test House at Siemens Brothers Dynamo Works, Stafford in about 1905. ...

1940s
National Savings at the English Electric Co. Ltd., Stafford
National Savings at the English Electric Co. Ltd., Stafford

Standing on the left is Mr J W C Milligan, Manager, Stafford Works, the lady seated ...

1960s
Retirement of Mr C H Shardlow at The English Electric Co. Ltd., Stafford
Retirement of Mr C H Shardlow at The English Electric Co. Ltd., Stafford

Left to right: Mr J R Sully, General Manager of Stafford and Kidsgrove Works is ...

View Location

Share:

Link to this resource

Ordering:Click the button to add the item to your basket. Follow the link for further information on ordering.

Creators: Mr Chris Coates - Contributor

Donor ref:BM-CC-038 (37/32505)

Source: Staffordshire Museum Service

Copyright information: Copyrights to all resources are retained by the individual rights holders. They have kindly made their collections available for non-commercial private study & educational use. Re-distribution of resources in any form is only permitted subject to strict adherence to the usage guidelines.