Stables, Crown Hotel, Stone,

Move your pointing device over the image to zoom to detail. If using a mouse click on the image to toggle zoom.
When in zoom mode use + or - keys to adjust level of image zoom.

Date:1895 - 1900 (c.)

Description:The Crown Hotel on High Street was damaged by fire in 1778. The new building was designed by Henry Holland in 1780.

The inn was a stop for stage coaches from London, Manchester and Birmingham; there was also a post room where mail bags were stored while awaiting the next coach.

The carriage through the archway used to meet trains at Stone railway station.

Share:


Image courtesy of: Leason, Philip A.

Donor ref:P. Leason No., PT00523, img: 2736 (18/3111)

Source: Staffordshire Museum Service

Copyright information: Copyrights to all resources are retained by the individual rights holders. They have kindly made their collections available for non-commercial private study & educational use. Re-distribution of resources in any form is only permitted subject to strict adherence to the usage guidelines.