English Electric Co., Hixon Works, Stafford

Move your pointing device over the image to zoom to detail

Date:1967

Description:A general view of the Assembly Shop located in a former airfield hanger which became part of English Electric’s site on New Road, Hixon.

In the photograph there are a number of current transformers (usually known as CT’s) with their tanks fixed onto porcelain bushings. The paper insulated coils inside the tanks were wound at Hixon. A CT is a type of instrument transformer that is designed to produce an alternating current in its secondary winding which is proportional to the current being measured in its primary.

This hanger building originally formed part RAF Hixon which opened in 1942 as a base for Bomber Command for the Second World War. Later it was used as a factory unit by English Electric and GEC, during GEC ALSTHOM’S ownership the structure was re-clad and the offices were upgraded in 1998 by Alstom. The New Road site at Hixon closed during 2001.