Engines, Dorman and Co. Ltd., Stafford

Move your pointing device over the image to zoom to detail

Date:1930 - 1940 (c.)

Description:Founded by William Henry Dorman in 1870 on Foregate Street, Dorman's began by manufacturing cutting tools for the footwear industry, but soon began to produce more specialised machinery such as printing, sewing and grinding machines.

In 1903 Dorman's produced their first internal combustion engine for the early motor car industry; this became the main activity of the company.

During the First World War the company was made a Controlled Establishment under the Conditions of War Act and made a notable contribution to the war effort, especially in the development of aerial warfare.

In 1929 Dorman's began to move part of the plant to Tixall Road. By 1939 the manufacture of engines for road use had ceased and the company began to concentrate on the production of industrial and marine engines. Also in this year the Ministry of Labour requisitioned the Foregate works for use as a training centre for engineers and the remainder of the plant transferred to Tixall Road.

In 1959 Dorman's bought the old established Stafford engineering firm of W.H. Bagnall's Ltd. Dorman's was taken over by the English Electric Company in 1961.


Timeline

The timeline shows resources around this location over a number of years.

1930s
Aerial View of Dorman's Factory, Stafford,
Aerial View of Dorman's Factory, Stafford,

Dorman's factory on Tixall Road, which rums from bottom left to top right. The ...

1960s
Machinery, Dorman and Co. Ltd., Stafford,
Machinery, Dorman and Co. Ltd., Stafford,

Founded by William Henry Dorman in 1870 on Foregate Street, Dorman's began by manufacturing ...

1980s
Design department at Dorman Diesels
Design department at Dorman Diesels

Design department at Dorman Diesels factory on Tixall Road. The factory was aquired ...

View Location

Share:

Link to this resource

Ordering:Click the button to add the item to your basket. Follow the link for further information on ordering.

Image courtesy of: William Salt Library

Donor ref:William Salt Library No., 13A, img: 2433 (18/2820)

Source: Staffordshire Museum Service

Copyright information: Copyrights to all resources are retained by the individual rights holders. They have kindly made their collections available for non-commercial private study & educational use. Re-distribution of resources in any form is only permitted subject to strict adherence to the usage guidelines.