English Electric Co., Stafford

Move your pointing device over the image to zoom to detail

Date:1940 - 1950 (c.)

Description:Pictured is a 'shop floor’ area at the English Electric Co. Lichfield Road Site in Stafford. In the centre is a large stator frame partly assembled with a view of the copper windings. The Stafford Works was renowned for its electrical products including generators, transformers and switchgear.

This image is taken from a glass negative donated to the Staffordshire County Museum by Alstom Power, Lichfield Road, Stafford.

Additional information:
Siemens Brothers purchased the land in 1901 and built the factory and offices which were ready to start production in 1903. In 1918 Siemens merged with several companies, including Dick, Kerr and Co., to become the English Electric Co. Two years later in 1920, The English Electric Co bought the Stafford Works. The English Electric Co merged with GEC (The General Electric Company) during 1968 and the Lichfield Road Site became part of GEC Power Engineering Ltd. On 22 March 1989 became part of GEC ALSTHOM, an Anglo French Joint Venture. On 22 June 1998 became part of ALSTOM with global HQ in Paris and until June 2014 continued to be part of the ALSTOM Group.


Timeline

The timeline shows resources around this location over a number of years.

1900s
Millwrights at Siemens Bros. factory, Stafford
Millwrights at Siemens Bros. factory, Stafford

Millwrights with a saddle tank locomotive at Siemens Brothers Dynamo Works, Stafford ...

1930s
English Electric Co. Stafford and the Ministry of Supply
English Electric Co. Stafford and the Ministry of Supply

English Electric staff and Ministry of Supply personnel are pictured during a visit ...

1960s
The 40 Club Dinner at The English Electric Co. Ltd., Stafford
The 40 Club Dinner at The English Electric Co. Ltd., Stafford

Employees and guests are pictured at the Stafford Works 40 Club Annual Dinner in ...

View Location

Share:

Link to this resource

Ordering:Click the button to add the item to your basket. Follow the link for further information on ordering.

Creators: Mr Andy Ellis, Alstom Power, Stafford - Contributor

Donor ref:AE-42.jpg (37/27570)

Source: Staffordshire Museum Service

Copyright information: Copyrights to all resources are retained by the individual rights holders. They have kindly made their collections available for non-commercial private study & educational use. Re-distribution of resources in any form is only permitted subject to strict adherence to the usage guidelines.