English Electric Co. at Meaford Power Station

Move your pointing device over the image to zoom to detail

Date:8th of May 1948

Description:A visit by the English Electric Co. Stafford, Engineering Society, to Meaford Generating Station.

The much smaller 'A' station opened in 1947 and ceased generation in 1974 and was demolished in 1982.

'B' station was formally opened on 4 October 1957 although electricity generation started in December 1955. 'B' station generated for the last time on 28 September 1990 at 1.00pm. The cooling towers were demolished in September 1991 just before formal closure on 1 October 1991. However, the power station itself was not demolished until 1996 with work commencing in early January and the chimney coming down by explosion on the 6th June 1996.

View Location

Share:

Link to this resource

Donor ref:AE-04 (192/26691)

Source: Mr Bob Metcalfe

Copyright information: Copyrights to all resources are retained by the individual rights holders. They have kindly made their collections available for non-commercial private study & educational use. Re-distribution of resources in any form is only permitted subject to strict adherence to the usage guidelines.