Crabbery Street, Stafford

Move your pointing device over the image to zoom to detail. If using a mouse click on the image to toggle zoom.
When in zoom mode use + or - keys to adjust level of image zoom.

Date:1962

Description:Looking west along Crabbery Street, towards Chapel Street, viewed from the junction with Gaolgate Street, Stafford.

On the extreme left is a branch of Hepworth's, a national chain of menswear shops selling bespoke and made-to-measure suits. The Stafford branch was at No. 2, Gaolgate Street. Further along an advertising sign can be seen for Crown Wallpapers which was attached to Rose & Co.’s decorating materials shop. In the distance near the junction with Chapel Street the three storey building with the Wesleyan Chapel tower rising above is No. 2 Crabbery Street. Next door an archway can be seen which was an entrance to the Co-op although in earlier years it was the entrance to the Albert Hall Cinema. Further along the building with columns was the Co-op Pharmacy alongside the Co-op Hardware shop. Adjoining is Phillip Shaw and Son’s drapers and tailors shop and on the right is a part view of Burton’s, a national chain of menswear shops selling bespoke and made-to-measure suits.

Shortly after this photograph was taken in 1962 all of buildings from the Chapel Street junction up to and including the Co-op archway entrance were due to be demolished to make way for a large new extension to the Co-op store which fronted nearby on Gaolgate Street. However, the Co-op Pharmacy and the Hardware shop survived for several more years before they too were replaced by a new section for the Co-op. In 2013 the Stafford Co-op store closed and stood empty for several years. In 2025 the entire Co-op store in Crabbery Street and the Princess Street Precinct was demolished because of a major redevelopment of the area.

Philip Shaw’s shop was rebuilt around 1965 to 1970 to the design that still remains. It was an Adams children’s shop for a few years and then changed ownership on several occasions. After Hepworth’s moved from the corner site it was occupied by a succession of jewellers and currently (2026) it is Masovia, a Polish bakery and café. The Burton menswear shop was later occupied by Orange which then became an EE mobile phone shop.


Timeline

The timeline shows resources around this location over a number of years.

1600s
Scold's bridle
Scold's bridle

An iron scold's bridle or brank from Stafford. Its date is uncertain, possibly ...

1880s
Tavern check, Three Tuns Inn, Stafford
Tavern check, Three Tuns Inn, Stafford

A two pence tavern check issued by W. & J. Wright, proprietors of the Three Tuns ...

1910s
Thorn and Co. ironmongers, Gaolgate, Stafford
Thorn and Co. ironmongers, Gaolgate, Stafford

John and Henry Thorn opened their ironmongers business at 37 Gaolgate in 1867. ...

1950s
Old William Salt Library, Stafford
Old William Salt Library, Stafford

The engraved sign for the original home of the William Salt Library. The library ...

1970s
Charity event, Market Square, Stafford
Charity event, Market Square, Stafford

Merlin Maddock (left) and Patrick Lichfield (right) at a public event in Market ...

1980s
Market Square, Stafford
Market Square, Stafford

Pictured is one of several Midland Red mini-buses that provided a bus service around ...

2010s
Market Square, Stafford
Market Square, Stafford

A 360 degree view of the Market Square, Stafford, painted by Rob Pointon (1982-). ...

Share:


Ordering:Click the button to add the item to your basket. Follow the link for further information on ordering.

Creators: Dr J.E.C. Peters - Creator

Donor ref:P66.003.1379 (37/52581)

Source: Staffordshire Museum Service

Copyright information: Copyrights to all resources are retained by the individual rights holders. They have kindly made their collections available for non-commercial private study & educational use. Re-distribution of resources in any form is only permitted subject to strict adherence to the usage guidelines.