High Street, Eccleshall

Move your pointing device over the image to zoom to detail. If using a mouse click on the image to toggle zoom.
When in zoom mode use + or - keys to adjust level of image zoom.

Date:1902 - 1905 (c.)

Description:A view of Eccleshall High Street looking west from the crossroads. The timber framed building on the right is the Market Hall (built in 1884) which replaced the Old Market Hall and was constructed to the same design. Later used as a reading room. The next building is the Town Hall, demolished in 1938.

On the left the sign of the Crown Inn can be seen, now the Crown Surgery, with the sign for The Royal Oak behind it. Both used to be owned by Joule’s Brewery of Stone. The Royal Oak is now (2026) owned by the re-founded Joule’s Brewery, based in Market Drayton.

The postcard was posted from Eccleshall to a Stafford address in 1905. The reverse of the card states that it was for Inland Postage only.

Share:


Image courtesy of: The Edward Anderson Postcard Collection

Donor ref:EA-0071 (243/52418)

Copyright information: Copyrights to all resources are retained by the individual rights holders. They have kindly made their collections available for non-commercial private study & educational use. Re-distribution of resources in any form is only permitted subject to strict adherence to the usage guidelines.