Description:On the right of the entrance gates, the head office of the former Lichfield Brewery Co. Ltd., dates from around 1876–1877. It was designed by George Scammel, a consulting engineer and architect who had specialist knowledge of the brewery process. The partner building to the left, now (2026) named Wiltell Lodge, dates from 1907.
The brewery site occupied nearly 12 acres and had a frontage to the LNWR line of almost a half mile. The brewery buildings were chiefly built around 1872–1878. They had access to two springs of water rising to the surface near the entrance. An on-site cooperage employed 30 hands and there was stabling for 30 horses.
In 1869 The Lichfield Brewery Co. took over the brewery and assets of J(ohn) & A(rthur) Griffiths & Co. from their trustees following their bankruptcy. J & A Griffiths felt they had been dealt with unfairly and advertised as such informing the public they were taking orders for wines, spirits, ales and stout from their offices and stores in the basement of the Free Library and Museum. Most of the main brewery buildings were demolished around 1970.
The bridge abutment on the right, originally built for the South Staffordshire Railway in 1849, was reconstructed in 1884 retaining the carved heraldic shields.