Blacksmiths Workshop, Bagnall's Engineering Works, Stafford,

Move your pointing device over the image to zoom to detail. If using a mouse click on the image to toggle zoom.
When in zoom mode use + or - keys to adjust level of image zoom.

Date:1925 - 1935 (c.)

Description:W.G. Bagnall Ltd. was established in 1870 in Castle Street. Bagnall's first locomotive was produced in 1875, the company going on to produce machines for collieries and overseas plantations. Eventually Bagnall's was manufacturing powerful locomotives for some of the world's most important railways.

In 1951 Bagnall's merged with Brush Traction Ltd., and in 1959 the firm was sold to W.H. Dorman Ltd. Two years later they were taken over by the English Electric Co. and production at the Castle Street works ceased.

Mr Homer, foreman of the blacksmiths' workshop, can be seen in the centre wearing a cap.


Timeline

The timeline shows resources around this location over a number of years.

1900s
Stafford Foundry,
Stafford Foundry,

1930s
Foundry, W.G. Bagnall's Engineering Works, Stafford,
Foundry, W.G. Bagnall's Engineering Works, Stafford,

W.G. Bagnall Ltd. was established in 1870 in Castle Street. Bagnall's first locomotive ...

1950s
Employees and Locomotive, W.G. Bagnall's Works, Stafford,
Employees and Locomotive, W.G. Bagnall's Works, Stafford,

Group of managers and foremen in front of a locomotive built by Brush Bagnall Traction ...

View Location

Share:

Link to this resource

Donor ref:P80.002.0001 (18/824)

Source: Staffordshire Museum Service

Copyright information: Copyrights to all resources are retained by the individual rights holders. They have kindly made their collections available for non-commercial private study & educational use. Re-distribution of resources in any form is only permitted subject to strict adherence to the usage guidelines.