Shrewsbury State Chariot outside the Swan Hotel, Stafford,

Move your pointing device over the image to zoom to detail. If using a mouse click on the image to toggle zoom.
When in zoom mode use + or - keys to adjust level of image zoom.

Date:1953

Description:The Earl of Shrewsbury's State Chariot passing the Swan Hotel in Greengate Street, in preparation for the coronation celebrations of June 1953.

State Carriages, or Dress Chariots, were used for court and formal occasions by royalty and families of rank. This State Carriage was built in the nineteenth century for the 20th Earl of Shrewsbury, by Hooper and Co. Ltd. of London.

The coachman and two footmen wear state livery which includes white wigs, knee breeches and heavily braided jackets. The footmen are Major Anthony Crofton (the Earl's brother-in-law) and William Heath (manager of the Home Farm, Ingestre). The driver is Mr M.W. Loxley.

The Shrewsbury State Carriage was used for the state visit to Ireland in 1911, and at the coronations of King Edward VII and Queen Elizabeth II. On the latter occasion the chestnut horses, borrowed from Mitchell & Butler's Brewery in Birmingham, proved temperamental and after four and three-quarter miles finally refused to move. Lord Shrewsbury, whose presence as Premier Earl and Lord High Steward of Ireland was essential, covered the last two hundred yards to Westminster Abbey by car.

The State Carriage is part of the Staffordshire County Museum collection.


Timeline

The timeline shows resources around this location over a number of years.

1780s
Ancient High House, Stafford,
Ancient High House, Stafford,

The High House was built on Greengate Street by Richard Dorrington in 1595. The ...

1850s
Ancient High House, Stafford
Ancient High House, Stafford

The large timber framed building is the Ancient High House on Greengate Street, ...

1880s
Advertisement for Marson's Grocers, High House, Stafford,
Advertisement for Marson's Grocers, High House, Stafford,

Tea wrapper from William Marson's grocery business, established in the High House ...

1900s
Marson's Grocers Shop and Staff, Stafford,
Marson's Grocers Shop and Staff, Stafford,

Marson's staff and Christmas window display. Marson's high class grocer's shop ...

1920s
Woodall's Drapers Shop, Stafford,
Woodall's Drapers Shop, Stafford,

Woodall's shop was at 55 Greengate Street. It closed in the 1970s.

1950s
Sydney Hall, Manager of the Swan Hotel, Stafford
Sydney Hall, Manager of the Swan Hotel, Stafford

Sydney Hall was manager of the Swan Hotel on Greengate Street from 1944 to 1955.

1970s
St. Mary's Passage, Stafford,
St. Mary's Passage, Stafford,

St. Mary's Passages leads from Greengate into St. Mary's churchyard. On the right ...

View Location

Share:

Link to this resource

Ordering:Click the button to add the item to your basket. Follow the link for further information on ordering.

Donor ref:P97.004.0338 (18/761)

Source: Staffordshire Museum Service

Copyright information: Copyrights to all resources are retained by the individual rights holders. They have kindly made their collections available for non-commercial private study & educational use. Re-distribution of resources in any form is only permitted subject to strict adherence to the usage guidelines.