State Chariot at Ingestre Hall,

Move your pointing device over the image to zoom to detail. If using a mouse click on the image to toggle zoom.
When in zoom mode use + or - keys to adjust level of image zoom.

Date:1952 - 1953 (c.)

Description:The Earl of Shrewsbury's State Chariot standing outside Ingestre Hall, in preparation for the coronation celebrations of June 1953. The coachman and two footmen wear state livery which includes white wigs, knee breeches and heavily braided jackets. The footmen are Major Anthony Crofton (the Earl's brother-in-law) and William Heath (manager of the Home Farm, Ingestre). The driver is Mr M.W. Loxley.

State Carriages, or Dress Chariots, were used for court and formal occasions by royalty and families of rank. This State Carriage was built in the nineteenth century for the 20th Earl of Shrewsbury, by Hooper and Co. Ltd. of London. The family crest can be seen on the door.

The coachman and two footmen wear state livery which includes white wigs, knee breeches and heavily braided jackets.

The Shrewsbury State Carriage was used for the state visit to Ireland in 1911, and at the coronations of King Edward VII and Queen Elizabeth II. On the latter occasion the chestnut horses, borrowed from Mitchell & Butler's Brewery in Birmingham, proved temperamental and after four and three-quarter miles finally refused to move. Lord Shrewsbury, whose presence as Premier Earl and Lord High Steward of Ireland was essential, covered the last two hundred yards to Westminster Abbey by car.

The State Carriage is part of the Staffordshire County Museum collection.


Timeline

The timeline shows resources around this location over a number of years.

1680s
Ingestre Hall and Church,
Ingestre Hall and Church,

Ingestre Hall was built by Sir Walter Chetwynd in 1613. By the eighteenth century ...

1830s
Ingestre Hall, Main Entrance,
Ingestre Hall, Main Entrance,

Ingestre Hall was built by Sir Walter Chetwynd in 1613. By the eighteenth century ...

1880s
Ingestre Hall,
Ingestre Hall,

Ingestre Hall was built by Sir Walter Chetwynd in 1613. By the eighteenth century ...

1900s
Edward VII's visit to Stafford and Ingestre,
Edward VII's visit to Stafford and Ingestre,

Edward VII visited Lord Shrewsbury at Ingestre Hall in November 1907. At the end ...

View Location

Share:

Link to this resource

Ordering:Click the button to add the item to your basket. Follow the link for further information on ordering.

Donor ref:P74.012.0001 (18/734)

Source: Staffordshire Museum Service

Copyright information: Copyrights to all resources are retained by the individual rights holders. They have kindly made their collections available for non-commercial private study & educational use. Re-distribution of resources in any form is only permitted subject to strict adherence to the usage guidelines.