Guildhall, Stafford,

Move your pointing device over the image to zoom to detail. If using a mouse click on the image to toggle zoom.
When in zoom mode use + or - keys to adjust level of image zoom.

Date:1933

Description:The Guildhall on Market Square was designed by Charles Trubshaw and built in 1853. It housed the Borough Council, the courts and on the ground floor was a police station. The entrance to the market hall can be seen underneath the balcony.

By the 1930s a new police station was needed and one was constructed on the corner of Bath Street and Albion Place. This building was used up to the 1970s when the police moved to their present location in Pitcher Bank.

The Guildhall was demolished in 1934 when it was rebuilt further back from the square and the market was replaced by a shopping arcade.


Timeline

The timeline shows resources around this location over a number of years.

1680s
Old Town Hall, Stafford,
Old Town Hall, Stafford,

There has been a shire building in Stafford since the 1280s, used as a meeting place ...

1840s
Market Square from the South, Stafford,
Market Square from the South, Stafford,

Stafford possessed a market as early as 1206, when Edward the Elder passed a law ...

1860s
Harry Bostock, Stafford,
Harry Bostock, Stafford,

1880s
Elizabethan House, Stafford,
Elizabethan House, Stafford,

The Elizabethan House was built on Gaolgate Street in the late Tudor period. The ...

1900s
Interior of the Old William Salt Library, Stafford, (2)
Interior of the Old William Salt Library, Stafford, (2)

Interior of the library on Market Square, prior to its move to Eastgate Street. William ...

1920s
Christening a New Fire Engine, Stafford
Christening a New Fire Engine, Stafford

Mayor William Thomas Richardson and Mayoress Emily Richardson of Stafford christening ...

1940s
Old Bank Building, Stafford,
Old Bank Building, Stafford,

One of the first banks to open outside London was Stevenson, Salt and Co. in 1737. ...

1960s
Aerial View of Stafford from the South-east,
Aerial View of Stafford from the South-east,

View looking north-west from over South Walls and Eastgate Street. The River ...

View Location

Share:

Link to this resource

Donor ref:P98.003.0029 (18/709)

Source: Staffordshire Museum Service

Copyright information: Copyrights to all resources are retained by the individual rights holders. They have kindly made their collections available for non-commercial private study & educational use. Re-distribution of resources in any form is only permitted subject to strict adherence to the usage guidelines.