Bratch Locks, near Wombourne

Move your pointing device over the image to zoom to detail. If using a mouse click on the image to toggle zoom.
When in zoom mode use + or - keys to adjust level of image zoom.

Date:1970 - 1971 (c.)

Description:Bratch Locks stand on the Staffordshire and Worcestershire Canal, which was engineered by James Brindley and opened in May 1772.

There are 3 locks at Bratch which are notable for their unusual configuration. Between the locks, a small section of water known as a pound exists to accomodate boats before they move into the next lock. The pounds are linked to large side ponds via culverts under the towpath that regulate the water levels.

To the right can be seen the tollhouse standing next to Upper Bratch Bridge, between the top and middle locks. The whitewash has since been removed.

View Location

Share:

Link to this resource

Creators: County Archaeology Department - Creator

Donor ref:C/P/65/5/2/18/4/1 (43/7058)

Copyright information: Copyrights to all resources are retained by the individual rights holders. They have kindly made their collections available for non-commercial private study & educational use. Re-distribution of resources in any form is only permitted subject to strict adherence to the usage guidelines.