Aerial view of Stafford Gas Works

Move your pointing device over the image to zoom to detail. If using a mouse click on the image to toggle zoom.
When in zoom mode use + or - keys to adjust level of image zoom.

Date:1953

Description:Aerial photograph of Stafford Gas works on Chell Road. The River Sow is on the left of the site.

The town's first gas works were built by William Edwards and Co. on this site in 1829. By 1949, when the works were taken over by the West Midland Gas Board, none of the original buildings remained.

The works were cleared in the late 1960s and Sainsbury's supermarket now occupies the site.


Timeline

The timeline shows resources around this location over a number of years.

1900s
Electricity Wiring and Generating Plant, Stafford,
Electricity Wiring and Generating Plant, Stafford,

Interior view of the electrical wiring and generation plant which opened on Bull ...

1930s
Spic and Span Shoe Polishes Ltd., Stafford,
Spic and Span Shoe Polishes Ltd., Stafford,

Spic and Span Shoe Polishes Ltd. was established in Glover Street on 3 June 1932. ...

1950s
Trade Display, Dove Shoe Polish, Stafford,
Trade Display, Dove Shoe Polish, Stafford,

Spic and Span Shoe Polishes Ltd. was established in Glover Street on 3 June 1932. ...

View Location

Share:

Link to this resource

Donor ref:P97.004.0298 (18/698)

Source: Staffordshire Museum Service

Copyright information: Copyrights to all resources are retained by the individual rights holders. They have kindly made their collections available for non-commercial private study & educational use. Re-distribution of resources in any form is only permitted subject to strict adherence to the usage guidelines.