Gate-house, Stafford Gaol,

Move your pointing device over the image to zoom to detail. If using a mouse click on the image to toggle zoom.
When in zoom mode use + or - keys to adjust level of image zoom.

Date:1869 - 1871 (c.)

Description:The gate-house stood on Gaol Road and contained the reception ward and a room for the warders. The roof of the gate-house was used as the place of execution until 1817, when new gallows were built on a cart and brought out before the gate-house when required.

The lower outer wall was to prevent ladders being placed at the foot of the inner wall, whose ornate top layer of brickwork was loose, designed to collapse should anyone try to climb over.

The gate-house was demolished in 1952 in order to widen Gaol Road.

View Location

Share:

Link to this resource

Donor ref:SAMS Acc. No., P82.54.32, img: 120 (8/682)

Source: Staffordshire Museum Service

Copyright information: Copyrights to all resources are retained by the individual rights holders. They have kindly made their collections available for non-commercial private study & educational use. Re-distribution of resources in any form is only permitted subject to strict adherence to the usage guidelines.