Mayor Marson on the Steps of the Borough Hall, Stafford,

Move your pointing device over the image to zoom to detail. If using a mouse click on the image to toggle zoom.
When in zoom mode use + or - keys to adjust level of image zoom.


Description:Mr William Marson, Mayor of Stafford, on the steps of the Borough Hall. Beside him stand Police Halberdiers.

The Borough Hall on Eastgate Street was designed by Henry Ward, the Borough architect. It opened on 20 June 1877.

Photograph donated by Stafford Historical and Civic Society, who retain copyright ownership.

Borough Council offices, the library and the Wragg Museum occupied the ground floor. On the first floor was a large hall with a stage, which was used for meetings, dances, concerts and plays.

The council moved to new premises in Riverside in 1984. The Borough Hall was refurbished and now houses the Gatehouse Theatre.

View Location


Link to this resource

Donor ref:SAMS Acc. No., P81.55.13, img: 68 (7/630)

Source: Staffordshire Arts & Museum Service

Copyright information: Copyrights to all resources are retained by the individual rights holders. They have kindly made their collections available for non-commercial private study & educational use. Re-distribution of resources in any form is only permitted subject to strict adherence to the usage guidelines.