Aerial View of Coton Hill Asylum, Stafford,

Move your pointing device over the image to zoom to detail. If using a mouse click on the image to toggle zoom.
When in zoom mode use + or - keys to adjust level of image zoom.


Description:Coton Hill Asylum was built in the 1850s and opened in 1854. It was originally built as an extension to the County Asylum in order to house private patients. It was to be known as The institution for the Insane of Staffordshire and the Adjacent Counties.
The hospital was built in a Tudor style on Weston Road, and features included its own chapel, cinema and dance hall, sports facilities, gardens, orchards for growing fruit and vegetables and farm.
The building remained until 1976 when, apart from the chapel and the lodges, it was demolished and the new District General Hospital was built on the site.

Copyright and ownership of this image is retained by Aerofilms Ltd.

View Location


Link to this resource

Creators: Aerofilms Ltd. (photographer) - Creator

Donor ref:P97.10.0064 (18/6262)

Source: Staffordshire Museum Service

Copyright information: Copyrights to all resources are retained by the individual rights holders. They have kindly made their collections available for non-commercial private study & educational use. Re-distribution of resources in any form is only permitted subject to strict adherence to the usage guidelines.