Old Library, Corporation Street, Tamworth

Move your pointing device over the image to zoom to detail. If using a mouse click on the image to toggle zoom.
When in zoom mode use + or - keys to adjust level of image zoom.

Date:1960 - 1979 (c.)

Description:The library was built in 1905 from money provided by the great American philanthropist Mr Andrew Carnegie. There had been other libraries in Tamworth before this, but these charged for membership and many people could not afford the fees. The new Carnegie Free Library was free for people to use.


Timeline

The timeline shows resources around this location over a number of years.

1900s
Tamworth Industrial Co-Operative Society produce display, Assembly rooms, Tamworth
Tamworth Industrial Co-Operative Society produce display, Assembly rooms, Tamworth

1920s
Co-operative Society at Tamworth carnival
Co-operative Society at Tamworth carnival

Co-op gala photo of 1926, taken on the 7th July, showing the Co-op Society's entry ...

1950s
Smith's Florist Van, Corporation Street, Tamworth
Smith's Florist Van, Corporation Street, Tamworth

Smith's florist van of Erdington, with signwork and paint work done by Mr Caleb ...

1970s
Old Drill Hall, Corporation Street, Tamworth
Old Drill Hall, Corporation Street, Tamworth

The Drill Hall was built in 1911 and was opened on 20th December 1911 by the Lord ...

View Location

Share:

Link to this resource

Donor ref:[938] (29/5974)

Source: Tamworth Castle Museum

Copyright information: Copyrights to all resources are retained by the individual rights holders. They have kindly made their collections available for non-commercial private study & educational use. Re-distribution of resources in any form is only permitted subject to strict adherence to the usage guidelines.