A decorated Palace Cinema, George Street, Tamworth

Move your pointing device over the image to zoom to detail. If using a mouse click on the image to toggle zoom.
When in zoom mode use + or - keys to adjust level of image zoom.

Date:22nd of June 1911

Description:The first Palace Cinema can be seen here decorated to celebrate the Coronation of George V. The early 20th century Palace cinema was the old music hall and stood on the site of [what is now] Burtons shop in George Street. The Art Deco Palace Cinema was built next door [site is now ‘Costa’ Coffee] and the old Palace Cinema site was demolished. The other cinema in George Street was The Grand [Theatre] surmounted by the Gibbs & Canning muse holding the globe light, which was on the North side of George Street.

The cinema shown here and its replacement were both owned by the Thornburn family.


Timeline

The timeline shows resources around this location over a number of years.

1890s
Post men and boys outside the Post Office, George Street, Tamworth
Post men and boys outside the Post Office, George Street, Tamworth

Post men and boys, bicycles and mail bags, outside the Old Post Office, on the south ...

1920s
George Street, Tamworth
George Street, Tamworth

On the right can be seen the façade of the Grand Theatre Cinema owned by the Dent ...

1970s
No 37 George Street, Tamworth
No 37 George Street, Tamworth

An example of brick and terracotta architectural ceramic mouldings on the gable ...

View Location

Share:

Link to this resource

Donor ref:[404] (29/5900)

Source: Tamworth Castle Museum

Copyright information: Copyrights to all resources are retained by the individual rights holders. They have kindly made their collections available for non-commercial private study & educational use. Re-distribution of resources in any form is only permitted subject to strict adherence to the usage guidelines.