Brocton Military Camp,

Move your pointing device over the image to zoom to detail. If using a mouse click on the image to toggle zoom.
When in zoom mode use + or - keys to adjust level of image zoom.

Date:1916 - 1918 (c.)

Description:Cannock Chase had been used as a military training ground since the 1870s. During the First World War two military camps were built on the Chase - Brocton Camp, which was located near to Anson's Bank, and Rugeley Camp which extended along Penkridge Bank. The two camps were separated by the Sherbrook Valley.
The alternate image shows a digitally colourised version of the image.

In this postcard view of Brocton Camp, the tents suggest the camp had not yet been completed. In the background on the right can be seen the water tower; the four chimneys are part of the power plant.

The men in the foreground are digging practice trenches. They are being supervised by an officer and are surrounded by sand bags and spoil heaps. In the distance can be seen soldiers at drill practice.

View Location

Share:

Link to this resource

Donor ref:P96.006.0007 (215/586)

Source: Mr Jake Whitehouse

Copyright information: Copyrights to all resources are retained by the individual rights holders. They have kindly made their collections available for non-commercial private study & educational use. Re-distribution of resources in any form is only permitted subject to strict adherence to the usage guidelines.