1913 Millenary Ox-Roast, Corporation Street, Tamworth

Move your pointing device over the image to zoom to detail. If using a mouse click on the image to toggle zoom.
When in zoom mode use + or - keys to adjust level of image zoom.

Date:9th of July 1913 - 10th of July 1913 (c.)

Description:This postcard shows the 1913 Millenary Ox Roast at the rear of the Drill Hall, which was built in 1911. Mr Redfern, who was in charge of the Ox Roast, was a butcher of Lower Gungate and is shown wearing a white coat apron and holding a bell. To the right is his assistant Billy Argyle. The public paid various amounts for different sizes of meat.

The Millenary marked the 1000th anniversary of when Aethelflaeda, the Lady of the Mercians, freed Tamworth from the Danes and fortified the town.


The timeline shows resources around this location over a number of years.

Corporation Street, Tamworth
Corporation Street, Tamworth

The Carnegie Library built in 1905 is seen on the left, with the Assembly Rooms ...

Co-operative Society at Tamworth carnival
Co-operative Society at Tamworth carnival

Co-op gala photo of 1926, taken on the 7th July, showing the Co-op Society's entry ...

Smith's Florist Van, Corporation Street, Tamworth
Smith's Florist Van, Corporation Street, Tamworth

Smith's florist van of Erdington, with signwork and paint work done by Mr Caleb ...

Old Drill Hall, Corporation Street, Tamworth
Old Drill Hall, Corporation Street, Tamworth

The Drill Hall was built in 1911 and was opened on 20th December 1911 by the Lord ...

View Location


Link to this resource

Creators: Mr A.H. Weale - Creator

Donor ref:[5158] (29/5825)

Source: Tamworth Castle Museum

Copyright information: Copyrights to all resources are retained by the individual rights holders. They have kindly made their collections available for non-commercial private study & educational use. Re-distribution of resources in any form is only permitted subject to strict adherence to the usage guidelines.