21 Church Street, Tamworth

Move your pointing device over the image to zoom to detail. If using a mouse click on the image to toggle zoom.
When in zoom mode use + or - keys to adjust level of image zoom.

Date:1970 - 1980 (c.)

Description:Number 21 Church Street has been used both as a library and Municipal offices over the years. Sir Robert Peel's Public Library, founded in 1841 in Colehill, was transferred to this site in 1871, but closed in 1874 due to lack of funds. In 1881 Tamworth Council secured 21 Church street as Municipal Offices, and the Library reopened (transferred from Colehill) in 1882, and stayed there until the new Carnegie Library was built in 1905. 21 Church Street remained the home of the Municipal Offices until 1981.


Timeline

The timeline shows resources around this location over a number of years.

1920s
Hunter's Yard, Church Street, Tamworth
Hunter's Yard, Church Street, Tamworth

This photograph shows Mr Hunter with a horse and trap inside 'Hunter's yard'. Mr ...

1940s
Police station social bar, Church Street, Tamworth
Police station social bar, Church Street, Tamworth

A photograph of Bert Herbert Carpenter, who was the Bar Steward of Tamworth Police ...

1970s
The Old Police Station, Church Street, Tamworth
The Old Police Station, Church Street, Tamworth

This building still existed in 2003 as a restaurant.

View Location

Share:

Link to this resource

Donor ref:[178] (29/5759)

Source: Tamworth Castle Museum

Copyright information: Copyrights to all resources are retained by the individual rights holders. They have kindly made their collections available for non-commercial private study & educational use. Re-distribution of resources in any form is only permitted subject to strict adherence to the usage guidelines.