Fogg Cottages, Amington

Move your pointing device over the image to zoom to detail. If using a mouse click on the image to toggle zoom.
When in zoom mode use + or - keys to adjust level of image zoom.

Date:1904 - 1929 (c.)

Description:The Fog Cottages at Amington are located beside the railway and accessed by a footpath from beside the Moor Lane railway bridge. This photograph was taken from the Coventry Canal bridge no 65 which is now Old Tamworth Road.

The LNWR standard cottages were built after 1883 when the design was introduced by Francis Webb, Chief Engineer of the LNWR and later examples – built after 1883/4 -are recognisable by the courses of stepped-out brickwork on the gable ends and under the eaves, and the four red-brick bands which run round the building in line with window sills and lintels, all of which can be seen in the picture below. Nearly everything (except the slates) came from the LNWR works at Crewe; bricks, woodwork and metal fittings. The red banding bricks are known as Accrington or Ruabon bricks and are quite distinct from the rough, mottled Crewe brick. The Amington cottages are what the LNWR Society has classified as Type 1a – the same as the cottages at Colwich.

Research and information kindly provided by Robin Mathams & Roger Kempshall – December 2014.

More information and photographs are availble in the attached document.

Related themes:

Housing Coventry Canal Coventry
View Location

Share:

Link to this resource

Donor ref:[7847] (29/5703)

Source: Tamworth Castle Museum

Copyright information: Copyrights to all resources are retained by the individual rights holders. They have kindly made their collections available for non-commercial private study & educational use. Re-distribution of resources in any form is only permitted subject to strict adherence to the usage guidelines.