Hickson Bros 'Gilford' coach, Holloway, Lady Bank, Tamworth

Move your pointing device over the image to zoom to detail. If using a mouse click on the image to toggle zoom.
When in zoom mode use + or - keys to adjust level of image zoom.

Date:1932

Description:Built by the Gilford Motor Company, High Wycombe, this coach was a 6 cylinder petrol Over Head Valve engine, which did 10 miles at best to the gallon. Passenger access was through the front near side door. There was a roll back canvas roof system for open touring. The Gilford was one of the earliest coaches to have a separate half cab design for the driver, which isolated him from distractions by noisy passengers. Holiday destinations in the coach were Rhyl, Llandudno, Blackpool and Skegness.


Timeline

The timeline shows resources around this location over a number of years.

1890s
A view of Holloway, Tamworth
A view of Holloway, Tamworth

A postcard of Holloway with Holloway Lodge on the right hand side. The Lodge is ...

1910s
Car outside the Holloway Lodge, Tamworth Castle
Car outside the Holloway Lodge, Tamworth Castle

A new car outside Holloway Lodge. The notice by the castle gates reads 'Dutch Market', ...

1950s
Tamworth Castle
Tamworth Castle

Tamworth Castle with Holloway Lodge in the foreground. Tamworth's Norman motte and ...

1970s
Ladybank, Tamworth
Ladybank, Tamworth

The west side of Ladybank can be seen here. The impressive building on the right ...

Related themes:

Buses, Coaches & Charabanc
View Location

Share:

Link to this resource

Donor ref:[7001] (29/5679)

Source: Tamworth Castle Museum

Copyright information: Copyrights to all resources are retained by the individual rights holders. They have kindly made their collections available for non-commercial private study & educational use. Re-distribution of resources in any form is only permitted subject to strict adherence to the usage guidelines.