An engraving of the Town Hall

Move your pointing device over the image to zoom to detail. If using a mouse click on the image to toggle zoom.
When in zoom mode use + or - keys to adjust level of image zoom.

Date:1828 - 1829 (c.)

Description:The Town Hall was built in 1700-1701, and was paid for by Thomas Guy, the MP for Tamworth. The Town Hall was initially used for civic and social functions, and so was an important building for the town. Over the years the hall became too small and was extended on a number of occasions. The clock was added to the hall in 1817 by Mr John Robins.

A 'Butter Market' was traditionally held in the open area under the Town Hall, and the fire-engine was later housed there until about 1940.


The timeline shows resources around this location over a number of years.

Chatterton, Market Street, Tamworth
Chatterton, Market Street, Tamworth

As the sign above the shop says, John Chatterton was the owner of this shop and ...

Procession in Market Street, Tamworth
Procession in Market Street, Tamworth

Judging by all the Union Jack flags, this is probably a Coronation Procession for ...

Goostrys, 24 Market Street, Tamworth
Goostrys, 24 Market Street, Tamworth

A view of the interior of Goostrys mensware shop. The counter under the window contained ...

Coleman Brothers, No 6 Market Street, Tamworth
Coleman Brothers, No 6 Market Street, Tamworth

Coleman Brothers was an Ironmongers, which had been trading since at least the 1930s....

Related themes:

Government Buildings
View Location


Link to this resource

Donor ref:[2620] (29/5533)

Source: Tamworth Castle Museum

Copyright information: Copyrights to all resources are retained by the individual rights holders. They have kindly made their collections available for non-commercial private study & educational use. Re-distribution of resources in any form is only permitted subject to strict adherence to the usage guidelines.