St. Edward's Church, Leek

Move your pointing device over the image to zoom to detail. If using a mouse click on the image to toggle zoom.
When in zoom mode use + or - keys to adjust level of image zoom.

Date:1895

Description:The Parish Church of St. Edward the Confessor is Leek's only medieval church, dedicated to Edward, King of England between 1042-1066. The original Norman church was burnt down in 1297, and re-built in the next century. Much of this fourteenth century building still remains, including the rose windows in the old north and south transepts, the intersecting tracery of the east window (north aisle), and the body of the west tower. The south porch and churchyard entrance date to a period of restoration work in the seventeenth century, although the most major alterations took place in 1839 and 1865-7 under the guidance of Ewan Christian and G.E. Street. The significance of the work carried out by the Victorian architects cannot be underestimated. Street had the whole of the eastern end of the church completely re-built and designed all of the 'furniture' himself, including the pulpit, stalls, lectern, reredos and organ screen. The church has a wonderful collection of stained glass and embroidery work by Morris & Co. Some of the embroideries, like the four altar frontals, were executed by members of the Leek Embroidery Society to the company's designs. The most notable of the stained glass windows is the the east window of the north transept, designed by Edward Burne-Jones in pre-Raphaelite style. Other Victorian architects also contributed window designs to the church, including G.E. Street (the east window) and G.F. Bodley (the north and south rose windows).


Timeline

The timeline shows resources around this location over a number of years.

1840s
Portrait of Mr. Tatler, Church Street, Leek
Portrait of Mr. Tatler, Church Street, Leek

Mr Tatler was born in 1826, and died in 1895. His father was proprietor of the George ...

1860s
Portrait of Mr Benjamin Barlow, Leek
Portrait of Mr Benjamin Barlow, Leek

Mr Barlow was the organist of St. Edward's Church, Leek. He died in 1873, aged 60....

1890s
Jubilee Day in Leek
Jubilee Day in Leek

A large group stand assembled under a foliage arch outside Leek Conservative Club ...

View Location

Share:

Link to this resource

Creators: Mr W.E. Mackaness - Creator

Donor ref:Unaccessioned (28/5362)

Source: Leek Library

Copyright information: Copyrights to all resources are retained by the individual rights holders. They have kindly made their collections available for non-commercial private study & educational use. Re-distribution of resources in any form is only permitted subject to strict adherence to the usage guidelines.