Oakamoor Village

Move your pointing device over the image to zoom to detail. If using a mouse click on the image to toggle zoom.
When in zoom mode use + or - keys to adjust level of image zoom.

Date:1978 - 1980 (c.)

Description:View of the terraced houses in the village looking across the River Churnet. The village is so-called because it was originally covered with dwarf oaks.Thomas Bolton & Sons of Birmingham bought the village's copper works in the early 1800s and went on to be involved in two internationally important engineering projects. They made the first submarine cable laid between Calais and Dover in 1849, and the 20, 000 mile core of the first trans-Atlantic cable in 1857. Unfortunately this latter cable failed, and the success of a second attempt in 1858 was short-lived. It was not until seven years later that the engineers finally achieved their goal. Bolton's works later moved to Froghall, where the business remains today.
There are two places of worship in the village; Holy Trinity Church on Church Bank built in 1832, and The Boulton Memorial Chapel (1878), close to Carr Bank. Oakamoor station opened in 1849 on the North Staffordshire Railway's Churnet Valley Line, providing an useful link in the goods and passenger service throughout the Moorlands and into the east of the county. The Leekbrook to Oakamoor line closed in and 1960, while the Oakamoor to Uttoxeter line was shut down in 1965.

There are 8 houses in Starwood Terrace viewed directly across the weir, the addresses start at number 2. Number 1 was demolished in the mid 1960's having become uninhabitable. The occupier Mr. Cope moved into number 2. The middle cottage in the Starwood Terrace the row immediately behind the Cricketers Arms pub has been converted into the village Post Office. The Post Office was, originally in the end terrace property, out of view behind the pub. This was run by Arthur J Davies, the former village constable who became Postmaster in 1963. When he retired in 1978, his daughter Mrs. Mary Edwards, became Postmaster and transferred the business to her property next door. The Cottage door was removed and replaced with an arrangement the Post Office deemed suitable for purpose at this time. It has since been modified once more, the Post Office having a dedicated entrance and the cottage door replaced.

Related themes:

River Churnet Housing Bridges
View Location

Share:

Link to this resource

Donor ref:Unaccessioned (28/5310)

Source: Leek Library

Copyright information: Copyrights to all resources are retained by the individual rights holders. They have kindly made their collections available for non-commercial private study & educational use. Re-distribution of resources in any form is only permitted subject to strict adherence to the usage guidelines.