Alton Towers

Move your pointing device over the image to zoom to detail. If using a mouse click on the image to toggle zoom.
When in zoom mode use + or - keys to adjust level of image zoom.

Date:1910 - 1930 (c.)

Description:When the house was completed in 1831 it was regarded as an excellent example of a model mansion house. From the exterior it looked imposing and grand, and inside it was lavishly decorated to reflect the wealth of its owner, the Earl of Shrewsbury. The estate also boasted excellent gardens, which the Earl began to capitalize on in the late 1860s. He hired John Mason Cook, the son of Thomas Cook who was responsible for creating the Victorian travel industry, to promote them and was overwhelmed by their early success. The first day excursion attracted 10,000 visitors. The Alton Towers estate was sold in 1924 to a private company, and was soon opened to the public. During World War II the Towers became an officer training unit, but sadly afterwards, the house was left empty for several years and suffered from a significant amount of theft and destruction. In the later 1950s the estate was bought and turned into a tourist attraction.

View Location

Share:

Link to this resource

Creators: Mr J.S. Brocklehurst - Creator

Donor ref:LP-3-2 Alton Towers (1 of 11) (28/5293)

Source: Leek Library

Copyright information: Copyrights to all resources are retained by the individual rights holders. They have kindly made their collections available for non-commercial private study & educational use. Re-distribution of resources in any form is only permitted subject to strict adherence to the usage guidelines.