Dale's Shop, Stafford

Move your pointing device over the image to zoom to detail. If using a mouse click on the image to toggle zoom.
When in zoom mode use + or - keys to adjust level of image zoom.

Date:1950 - 1960 (c.)

Description:This building at 11 Greengate Street was a typical Tudor house built around 1500, although the building would have originally been thatched and the shop front was added in 1826. The building was first used as a shop in 1811 when Bartlem Tomlinson started his ironmonger's business there. Philip Dale was one of his apprentices. In 1826 Dale set up his own business, acquiring Tomlinson's old premises in 1835. The shop was noted by Charles Dickens from the window of the Swan Hotel during his brief stay in Stafford in the mid-1800s. It was demolished in the 1960s and replaced by modern shops.

Note the shop sign, a large copper kettle, hanging from one of the gables. On the left is Phyllis Bentley's shop. On the right is 'The Paragon', a confectioner's and tobacconist's shop. The proprietor was E. Fieldhouse. To the right can be glimpsed St. Chad's Church.


Timeline

The timeline shows resources around this location over a number of years.

1870s
Philip Dale and son, Stafford
Philip Dale and son, Stafford

This carte de visite studio portrait shows Philip Dale (1832-1917), brazier and ...

1890s
St. Chad's Church, Stafford
St. Chad's Church, Stafford

A lantern slide view of St. Chad's Church, Stafford. the entrance to Peach's milliners ...

1910s
The Zetland Cafe, Market Square, Stafford
The Zetland Cafe, Market Square, Stafford

Agnes Galloway opened the Zetland Café on the first floor of 54a Greengate ...

1930s
Fire Engine, Stafford
Fire Engine, Stafford

Stafford Fire Brigade with their Leyland fire engine. The engine is being driven ...

1950s
Brookfields of Stafford paper bag
Brookfields of Stafford paper bag

A paper bag from Brookfields tailors shop, Greengate Street. In 1743 George Boulton, ...

1980s
Women's hat
Women's hat

A natural coloured straw hat with brim turned up at the front, fastened with black ...

View Location

Share:

Link to this resource

Ordering:Click the button to add the item to your basket. Follow the link for further information on ordering.

Donor ref:P2021.019.0047 (37/46885)

Source: Staffordshire Museum Service

Copyright information: Copyrights to all resources are retained by the individual rights holders. They have kindly made their collections available for non-commercial private study & educational use. Re-distribution of resources in any form is only permitted subject to strict adherence to the usage guidelines.