Martin Street, Stafford

Move your pointing device over the image to zoom to detail. If using a mouse click on the image to toggle zoom.
When in zoom mode use + or - keys to adjust level of image zoom.

Date:1990

Description:When this picture was taken looking west along Martin Street from Eastgate Street in 1990, there are several cars parked in the street. Later In 1992, a large part of the town centre was pedestrianised and the A34 was re-routed around the town.

All of the buildings in the picture remain (June 2022). On the left are several Staffordshire County Council offices, in the centre distance there is a glimpse of St. Mary’s Church tower and on the right are the County Buildings which opened in Martin Street on 29 October 1895. Previously councillors had used the facilities in the Borough Hall and the Shire Hall.

A competition was organised in 1892 to find an architect, in which the Council requested 'good, thoroughly business-like offices'. The winning design was by an emerging young architect Henry Thomas Hare, who was awarded £150. The building itself was constructed by Henry Lovatt of Wolverhampton and took two years to build.

The building was lit by electricity, at a time when many public buildings were lit by gas, and the Council Chamber was equipped with an early air conditioning system.

This photograph was taken by Stafford photographer Tony Boydon.


Timeline

The timeline shows resources around this location over a number of years.

1890s
Double ended measure
Double ended measure

Turned wooden double-ended egg cup shaped measure. One end slightly larger than ...

1940s
Stafford Open Table Show
Stafford Open Table Show

Judging rabbits at the Stafford Open Table Show. The venue is not known, but may ...

1970s
Laboratory Technician, Scientific Services, Stafford
Laboratory Technician, Scientific Services, Stafford

Principal Analyst Vic Stanway looking at a PH meter at Staffordshire County Council's ...

1990s
Laboratory Technician, Scientific Services, Stafford
Laboratory Technician, Scientific Services, Stafford

Laboratory Technician Ian Milner testing butter fats at Staffordshire County Council's ...

View Location

Share:

Link to this resource

Ordering:Click the button to add the item to your basket. Follow the link for further information on ordering.

Creators: Tony Boydon - Creator

Donor ref:P2005.4.2557b (37/46853)

Source: Staffordshire Museum Service

Copyright information: Copyrights to all resources are retained by the individual rights holders. They have kindly made their collections available for non-commercial private study & educational use. Re-distribution of resources in any form is only permitted subject to strict adherence to the usage guidelines.