Captain Alfred Ernest Haywood, Stafford Fire Brigade

Move your pointing device over the image to zoom to detail. If using a mouse click on the image to toggle zoom.
When in zoom mode use + or - keys to adjust level of image zoom.

Date:1930

Description:Alfred Ernest Haywood (1876-1958) was born in Newcastle under Lyme, one of 14 children brought up by Alfred and Annie Haywood. The family settled in Thornton's Buildings in Cherry Street, Stafford. Alfred Ernest initially worked in an iron foundry and was promoted to Chief Officer of Stafford Fire Brigade in 1920 and served in that post until 1941 at which point it was incorporated into the National Fire Brigade. He also managed three Stafford public houses in succession: the New Inn, 27 Broad Eye 1902-1919; the Maid's Head Hotel, 39 Gaolgate Street 1919-1924 and the Bear Inn, 7 Greengate Street 1924-1929. He was made an Honorary Freeman of the Borough of Stafford in 1948.


Timeline

The timeline shows resources around this location over a number of years.

1600s
Scold's bridle
Scold's bridle

An iron scold's bridle or brank from Stafford. Its date is uncertain, possibly ...

1840s
Broadsheet  - Staffordshire Lent Assizes, 1845
Broadsheet - Staffordshire Lent Assizes, 1845

A broadsheet detailing the sentences for prisoners at the Staffordshire Lent Assizes, ...

1860s
Token, J. Tasker Evans, Stafford
Token, J. Tasker Evans, Stafford

John Tasker Evans appears in local directories 1863-1880 at 34 Gaolgate Street, ...

1880s
Child's boots
Child's boots

Pair of leather child's button boots, worn by a Stafford child in the late 19th ...

1890s
Queen Victoria's Diamond Jubilee, Greengate Street, Stafford
Queen Victoria's Diamond Jubilee, Greengate Street, Stafford

A lantern slide view of celebrations and decorations on Greengate Street, Stafford ...

1910s
Peace Day, Ancient High House, Stafford
Peace Day, Ancient High House, Stafford

Crowds of people watching a military march past outside the Ancient High House during ...

1930s
Auxiliary Fire Service lapel badge
Auxiliary Fire Service lapel badge

The Auxiliary Fire Service was created in July 1938 to assist the Fire Brigade ...

1950s
Stafford Folk Dance Club dinner, Stafford
Stafford Folk Dance Club dinner, Stafford

Stafford Folk Dance Club's second annual dinner, held at Jenkinson's café, ...

1980s
Women's hat
Women's hat

A natural coloured straw hat with brim turned up at the front, fastened with black ...

View Location

Share:

Link to this resource

Ordering:Click the button to add the item to your basket. Follow the link for further information on ordering.

Image courtesy of: Mr Ajay Tegala

Donor ref:AHT-017 (37/45791)

Source: Staffordshire Museum Service

Copyright information: Copyrights to all resources are retained by the individual rights holders. They have kindly made their collections available for non-commercial private study & educational use. Re-distribution of resources in any form is only permitted subject to strict adherence to the usage guidelines.