Pottal Pool, Cannock Chase

Move your pointing device over the image to zoom to detail. If using a mouse click on the image to toggle zoom.
When in zoom mode use + or - keys to adjust level of image zoom.

Date:1933 - 1940 (c.)

Description:Looking out across Pottal Pool from the chalet.

Pottal Pool Lido opened on 3 August 1933, offering bathing, light luncheons and teas. As well as swimming and diving facilities there was a paddling pool for small children and floodlighting in the evening. By 1934 aquacycling, dancing and suppers were being advertised. Now (2021) no longer publicly accessible due to quarrying activity, it was a popular leisure venue until the 1950s.

On land owned by Lord Hatherton, the pool was originally a feeder reservoir for the Staffordshire and Worcestershire Canal and was converted by Cyril E. Morris. a young London architect assisted by Mr. R. Waugh Harris of Stone. The rustic chalet was built by F. and E.V. Linford of Cannock.

View Location

Share:

Link to this resource

Image courtesy of: Mrs Amanda Simpson

Donor ref:ASimpson_12 (55/45746)

Source: Miscellaneous Collection

Copyright information: Copyrights to all resources are retained by the individual rights holders. They have kindly made their collections available for non-commercial private study & educational use. Re-distribution of resources in any form is only permitted subject to strict adherence to the usage guidelines.