Stafford and District Church Federation, Walton on the Hill

Move your pointing device over the image to zoom to detail. If using a mouse click on the image to toggle zoom.
When in zoom mode use + or - keys to adjust level of image zoom.

Date:10th of May 1952

Description:Officials and members are pictured at the first annual meeting of the Stafford and District Federation of the Church of England Men’s Society (C.E.M.S.) at Walton Village Hall on Saturday 10 May. Seated left to right are: the Bishop of Shrewsbury, the Rt. Rev. R L Hodson, the Archdeacon of Stafford, the Ven. W A Parker, Mr G S Tucker (Chairman) and Mr J M Bullock (Secretary). Please contact us if you recognise anyone else in the photograph.

Welcoming the Federation to Berkswich was the Vicar, the Rev. W Merlin Davies. During the meeting members of the C.E.M.S. were urged by the Bishop of Shrewsbury to prepare themselves intellectually, morally, and devotionally for an “Evangelistic Challenge”, which the Bishop of Lichfield, Dr E S Woods is to throw out to the laity of the diocese next year. Plans for this evangelistic effort would be discussed by the clergy at a synod at St. Mary’s Church in Stafford at the end of June.

Presiding at the meeting, which was attended by members of a number of C.E.M.S. branches, the President, the Ven. W A Parker said that the amazing revival of the C.E.M.S. was one of the most remarkable developments in the history of the Church of England. The Hon. Secretary, Mr J M Bullock recalled in his report that the Federation was inaugurated last October, largely due to the efforts of Mr G C Saunders. Since then some well attended meetings had been held and some useful work done. Following the meeting a short service of intercession was held at Walton Church.

This photograph was published in the Staffordshire Newsletter on Saturday 17 May 1952. Reproduced by kind permission of the Staffordshire Newsletter who retain copyright.

View Location

Share:

Link to this resource

Creators: Staffordshire Newsletter - Creator

Donor ref:D4527-B6-NN-795 (201/45514)

Source: Staffordshire County Record Office

Copyright information: Copyrights to all resources are retained by the individual rights holders. They have kindly made their collections available for non-commercial private study & educational use. Re-distribution of resources in any form is only permitted subject to strict adherence to the usage guidelines.