Annual Dinner, Stafford Rugby Club

Move your pointing device over the image to zoom to detail. If using a mouse click on the image to toggle zoom.
When in zoom mode use + or - keys to adjust level of image zoom.

Date:May 1952

Description:Officials and guests are pictured at the annual dinner of the Stafford Rugby Club, held at Jenkinson’s Café, Stafford. Seated left to right are: Mr Gwynn Bayliss, Mr W J N Somers (Chairman of the Club) and Mr R J Todd (a Referee). Standing: Mr E C Straiton, Mr G Collier, Mr Jim Collier (Club Captain), Mr D L F Hoare and Mr B Young.

Mr Bayliss, a former Welsh International and a BBC commentator, proposed a toast to the club and told members of the club at the dinner that he wanted everyone to get rid of the idea that it is only the game that matters and added that we have to go on the field to win. He emphasised the importance of fitness in rugby and said that there was an obligation on all players to get fit and keep fit, because it was the fit team which produced results.

Mr Bayliss praised the friendly atmosphere of the club which was formed in 1876 and re-formed in 1923 after losing all but two of its members in the First World War. He mentioned that Jim Collier had been captain for the past five seasons and had given exemplary service and he praised the work of other players and officials. He referred to the fact that Mr D S Bartleman was giving up the job of Secretary of the club to resume refereeing duties and would be a great loss to the club. Over the years the club had supplied players to Staffordshire, the North Midlands and were at the time of this newspaper article claiming the unofficial championship of Staffordshire. During the evening there were several toasts proposed including one by Mr D Hoare, a playing member of the club, who proposed a toast to the Vice-Presidents and Mr E C Straiton, a Vice-President, responded. This was followed by a toast to the visitors by Mr G Collier, a player and Mr R J Todd, a referee, responded.

This photograph was published in the Staffordshire Newsletter on Saturday 10 May 1952. Reproduced by kind permission of the Staffordshire Newsletter who retain copyright.

View Location


Link to this resource

Creators: Staffordshire Newsletter - Creator

Donor ref:D4527-B6-NN-748 (201/45504)

Source: Staffordshire County Record Office

Copyright information: Copyrights to all resources are retained by the individual rights holders. They have kindly made their collections available for non-commercial private study & educational use. Re-distribution of resources in any form is only permitted subject to strict adherence to the usage guidelines.