Excavating the mill wheel, White Barn Farm, Shugborough

Move your pointing device over the image to zoom to detail. If using a mouse click on the image to toggle zoom.
When in zoom mode use + or - keys to adjust level of image zoom.

Date:1995

Description:Members of Staffordshire Industrial Archaeology Society excavating the iron mill wheel which drove a water powered threshing machine at White Barn Farm on the Shugborough Estate. White Barn was built around 1770, and was redesigned by Samuel Wyatt in about 1805 when Shugborough Park Farm was built. The threshing mill was designed by Andrew Meikle and installed by Samuel Wyatt around 1805 and seems to have become redundant by 1850. The machine was capable of threshing 200 bushels a day.

View Location

Share:

Link to this resource

Image courtesy of: Dr Anne Andrews

Donor ref:White-Barn-ExcanAA05 (183/45444)

Copyright information: Copyrights to all resources are retained by the individual rights holders. They have kindly made their collections available for non-commercial private study & educational use. Re-distribution of resources in any form is only permitted subject to strict adherence to the usage guidelines.