International Friendship League, Stafford

Move your pointing device over the image to zoom to detail. If using a mouse click on the image to toggle zoom.
When in zoom mode use + or - keys to adjust level of image zoom.

Date:1st of March 1956

Description:Members of the Stafford Branch of the International Friendship League pictured at their meeting at the Friends Meeting House on Foregate Street, Stafford. The evening included a film show, followed by games and refreshments. At the time the group had about 30 members, many of them new to Stafford, including: Veronica van nagell, a companion-help to a Stone family; Maria Louise Raessler, aged 17, living with a Stafford family. Also present were students at English Electric, including Mr M. Yessaillian from Aleppo, Syria, Antippo Jeriassimo from Greece and Alain Tisserand from France.

The International Friendship League was formed in the 1930s with the aim of building bridges between nations. The Stafford branch was founded in November 1951, instigated by Nigerian-born Eko James, a 25 year old graduate apprentice at EEC, and was active throughout the 1950s. The group met at the Friends Meeting House on Foregate Street

Reproduced by kind permission of the Staffordshire Newsletter who retain copyright.

View Location

Share:

Link to this resource

Creators: Staffordshire Newsletter - Creator

Donor ref:D4527-D1-18041814 (15) (201/45416)

Source: Staffordshire County Record Office

Copyright information: Copyrights to all resources are retained by the individual rights holders. They have kindly made their collections available for non-commercial private study & educational use. Re-distribution of resources in any form is only permitted subject to strict adherence to the usage guidelines.