Assize Judges, St. Mary’s Church, Stafford

Move your pointing device over the image to zoom to detail. If using a mouse click on the image to toggle zoom.
When in zoom mode use + or - keys to adjust level of image zoom.

Date:March 1956

Description:Assize Judges, Mr Justice Pearson and Mr Justice Hallett are seen with a Police guard of honour as they enter St. Mary’s Collegiate Church for the service which traditionally preceded the opening of the Assizes at Stafford.

Assizes and Quarter Sessions were replaced in 1972 by the present system of Crown Courts. The Shire Hall continued to be used by Stafford Crown Court until 1991, when the new Combined Court building was opened on Victoria Square.

This photograph was published in the Staffordshire Newsletter on Saturday 10 March 1956. Reproduced by kind permission of the Staffordshire Newsletter who retain copyright.

View Location

Share:

Link to this resource

Creators: Staffordshire Newsletter - Creator

Donor ref:D4527-D1-18311838(5) (201/45415)

Source: Staffordshire County Record Office

Copyright information: Copyrights to all resources are retained by the individual rights holders. They have kindly made their collections available for non-commercial private study & educational use. Re-distribution of resources in any form is only permitted subject to strict adherence to the usage guidelines.