Thomas Jackson, Public Library, Stafford

Move your pointing device over the image to zoom to detail. If using a mouse click on the image to toggle zoom.
When in zoom mode use + or - keys to adjust level of image zoom.

Date:1910 - 1912 (c.)

Description:Thomas Jackson with outside the entrance to the Free Public Library on the ground floor of the Borough Hall, Eastgate Street, Stafford. He was Librarian and Curator between 1892 and 1927.

Stafford's library was housed in the Borough Hall from 1881 until 1914. The new library building on The Green was begun in 1913, with funds from the Carnegie Trust and was formally opened in 1914. The building also housed the Wragge Museum collections, later to become Stafford Museum and Art Gallery. The library occupied this site until 1999, when it moved to the rear of the Shire Hall on Market Square.


The timeline shows resources around this location over a number of years.

Calendar of Prisoners at Quarter Sessions, Stafford
Calendar of Prisoners at Quarter Sessions, Stafford

The courts of Quarter Sessions were established in 1362 and sat for over 600 years ...

Pageant of Transport exhibition, Stafford
Pageant of Transport exhibition, Stafford

Visitors in a Russian Sleigh lent by the Earl of Shrewsbury as part of the 'Pageant ...

Shrewsbury Arms, Eastgate Street, Stafford
Shrewsbury Arms, Eastgate Street, Stafford

The Shrewsbury Arms at 75 Eastgate Street, on the corner of Pitcher Bank, advertising ...

View Location


Link to this resource

Image courtesy of: Staffordshire County Record Office

Donor ref:7673-1 Thomas Jackson outside Borough Hall (201/45253)

Source: Staffordshire County Record Office

Copyright information: Copyrights to all resources are retained by the individual rights holders. They have kindly made their collections available for non-commercial private study & educational use. Re-distribution of resources in any form is only permitted subject to strict adherence to the usage guidelines.