Lecture Hall, Stafford Library & Museum

Move your pointing device over the image to zoom to detail. If using a mouse click on the image to toggle zoom.
When in zoom mode use + or - keys to adjust level of image zoom.

Date:1947

Description:A view of the Lecture Hall after it was reorganised ready for re-opening in 1947, the Library and Museum having been closed for the duration of the Second World War. Oil paintings and framed embroideries from the Stafford Museum collection are on the walls, including 'Cattle Piece' by Thomas Peploe Wood. This room, on the first floor of the Bailey Street side of the building, had previously also housed the children's library.

Stafford's library was housed in the Borough Hall until 1914. The new library building on The Green was begun in 1913, with funds from the Carnegie Trust and was formally opened in 1914. The building also housed the Wragge Museum collections, later to become Stafford Museum and Art Gallery. The library occupied this site until 1999, when it moved to the rear of the Shire Hall on Market Square.

View Location

Share:

Link to this resource

Image courtesy of: Staffordshire County Record Office

Donor ref:7673-1 Library with TP Wood painting (201/45245)

Source: Staffordshire County Record Office

Copyright information: Copyrights to all resources are retained by the individual rights holders. They have kindly made their collections available for non-commercial private study & educational use. Re-distribution of resources in any form is only permitted subject to strict adherence to the usage guidelines.