Anglesey Hotel, Market Street, Hednesford

Move your pointing device over the image to zoom to detail. If using a mouse click on the image to toggle zoom.
When in zoom mode use + or - keys to adjust level of image zoom.

Date:1928 - 1930 (c.)

Description:A bus waits outside the Anglesey Hotel on Market Street. The Anglesey Hotel was built in 1831 by Edmund Peel of Tamworth, son of Sir Robert Peel of Drayton Manor; brother to Robert, sometime British Prime Minister. Known as Hednesford Lodge, it provided stabling for Edmund's race horses and family accomodation when they visited; Hednesford Hills being emminently suited to the training of horses due to its springy turf. The Marquis of Anglesey acquired it by 1867 and it was transformed into the Hednesford Commercial Hotel and later the Angelsey Arms run by the Eskrett family. In 2015 it was renamed as the Hedgeford Lodge, when it opened as a public house, part of the J.D. Wetherspoon chain.

To the right is the Electric Palace Picture House, renamed the Tivoli Cinema from 1932.

View Location

Share:

Link to this resource

Donor ref:Hednesford 4 (6/45086)

Source: Mr John Godwin

Copyright information: Copyrights to all resources are retained by the individual rights holders. They have kindly made their collections available for non-commercial private study & educational use. Re-distribution of resources in any form is only permitted subject to strict adherence to the usage guidelines.