Rodbaston Farm Institute, Penkridge

Move your pointing device over the image to zoom to detail. If using a mouse click on the image to toggle zoom.
When in zoom mode use + or - keys to adjust level of image zoom.

Date:1940 - 1950 (c.)

Description:This postcard view shows Tennis players posing for the camera with Rodbaston Hall in the background. Rodbaston Hall was built for William Holland by 1834. In 1854 the Holland family sold it to Thomas Shaw Hillier. It was sold again in 1871 to Henry Ward whose widow Jane remained there until her death in about 1915.

Rodbaston College's origins lie in 1919 when the War Agricultural Committee opened an agricultural training depot. In 1921 it became Rodbaston Farm Institute, which was run by the County Council. It was renamed the Staffs College of Agriculture in 1967. In 1994 it became independent and was renamed Rodbaston College. In 2009 South Staffordshire College was created following a merger of Cannock Chase Technical College, Rodbaston College and Tamworth and Lichfield College.

The Rodbaston Campus currently (May 2021) offers courses and training in agriculture, horticulture, animal care, floristry, veterinary care, horse management, countryside management and there is a working farm, an Animal Zone and an Equine Centre on campus.

Rodbaston Hall which is set in a 180 hectare estate has been refurbished as a wedding, conference and events venue.

View Location

Share:

Link to this resource

Image courtesy of: The Arthur Lloyd Collection

Donor ref:A_Lloyd-509aa (232/44994)

Copyright information: Copyrights to all resources are retained by the individual rights holders. They have kindly made their collections available for non-commercial private study & educational use. Re-distribution of resources in any form is only permitted subject to strict adherence to the usage guidelines.