LMS Railway Line, Penkridge

Move your pointing device over the image to zoom to detail. If using a mouse click on the image to toggle zoom.
When in zoom mode use + or - keys to adjust level of image zoom.

Date:1923 - 1930 (c.)

Description:This postcard view looks north from Bungham Lane bridge along the railway tracks towards Penkridge Station.

The line was built by the Grand Junction Railway which opened in 1837. In 1846 it became part of The London and North West Railway (LNWR, L&NWR); in 1923 it merged into the London, Midland and Scottish Railway (LMS) and from 1948 formed part of British Railways (BR). In later years the line became known as the Birmingham branch of the West Coast Main Line, with north heading to Stafford and south to Wolverhampton.

In the distance the tower of St. Michael and All Angels Church can be seen, on the right there is a glimpse of The Grange with a walled garden, glasshouses and several flowering shrubs trained against the garden wall. In later years a housing development Grange Avenue and Grange Road was built on the site.

View Location

Share:

Link to this resource

Image courtesy of: The Arthur Lloyd Collection

Donor ref:A_Lloyd-495aa (232/43892)

Copyright information: Copyrights to all resources are retained by the individual rights holders. They have kindly made their collections available for non-commercial private study & educational use. Re-distribution of resources in any form is only permitted subject to strict adherence to the usage guidelines.