Butterworth's shop advertisement, George Street, Newcastle under Lyme

Move your pointing device over the image to zoom to detail. If using a mouse click on the image to toggle zoom.
When in zoom mode use + or - keys to adjust level of image zoom.

Date:March 2021

Description:The painted F & E Butterworth Ltd sign was uncovered during the demolition of the neighbouring Zanzibar (Ritzy) nightclub building in March 2021.

The business was established in the 1840s by John Butterworth of Audley. They were wholesale grocers and had a warehouse on Brunswick Street. John’s sons, Frederick and Ernest (hence F & E), took over the business in about 1890 and by 1912 they were also trading from Etruria Road, Hanley. Frederick started a fruit preserving business sometime in the 1880s or 1890s, trading under the Butterworth name. By 1928 he was selling under the ‘Beehive Preserves’ name. Butterworth’s were still trading from this site in 1955 under Ernest’s son, Reginald Ernest Butterworth. The sign, painted by Cooper Signs of Queens Road, Hanley, is thought to date from the late 1950s.

View Location

Share:

Link to this resource

Creators: Mr Neil Collingwood - Creator

Image courtesy of: Mr Neil Collingwood

Donor ref:(55/43829)

Source: Miscellaneous Collection

Copyright information: Copyrights to all resources are retained by the individual rights holders. They have kindly made their collections available for non-commercial private study & educational use. Re-distribution of resources in any form is only permitted subject to strict adherence to the usage guidelines.